Home automation is all the rage these days. It seems like every day there’s a new product on the market that can automate some aspect of your home. But what many people don’t realize is that home automation can also help you save money as well. Automating small aspects of your home can really add up to a large sum of money when you look at things over the long term.
How much money can a smart home save?
A smart home can save a lot of money if you use the right devices and technologies. For example, on average, switching from a dumb thermostat to a smart one can save you around $180-$250 a year. Swapping out all the light bulbs in your home for LED ones can save you $100 a year, and swapping out all your old appliances for new energy-efficient ones can save around $190 a year. It’s estimated that a smart home can save the average homeowner about $2,000 a year in energy costs.
Here are some of the most common ways home automation can help you save money:
1. Save Money on Insurance Premiums
Home insurance companies often offer discounts for homes with these security features, so automating your home can help you save on premiums.
Here are some ways that home automation can help you save money on insurance:
- A monitored security system can also provide peace of mind in case of a break-in or fire, knowing that someone is always watching over your property.
- Automated security lights that turn on as you approach your home give a clear visual deterrent to break-ins. Moreover, these lighting can help prevent burglars from hiding in the shadows and make it easier for the police to arrest them.
- Motion detection can also be set up to trigger your security lights when motion is detected. This could give you a greater chance of capturing a burglar on your home surveillance camera.
- A security system that automatically calls the police in case of a break-in can save you hundreds of dollars that would have been spent on an alarm system.
2. Save Money on your Water Bill
Water is one of the most essential commodities in our lives, and its preservation is crucial to both our health and the environment. Home automation can help you save money on water bills by managing your home’s water usage.
Here are 5 ways home automation can help you save money on your water bill:
- You can use a smart sprinkler system to water your lawn only when necessary.
- There are smart water leak detector to alert you when water is dripping from a faucet or a pipe.
- You can use a smart toilet to monitor your toilet’s water level and inform you if you’re wasting water.
- Watering your lawn and garden is one of the biggest expenses most homeowners have, but it doesn’t have to be. You can automate your irrigation system so that it’s only watering when your plants really need it.
3. Save Money on your Energy Bill
Home automation can help you save money on your energy bill by making your home more energy efficient. By controlling your lights, appliances and thermostat from your smartphone or smart speaker, you can easily conserve energy and save money.
Here are some ways automation can save your energy bill:
- Gone are the days of pressing a light switch. You can program your lights to turn off when nobody is home, or during the daytime when there’s plenty of natural light coming in.
- Automated thermostats can help regulate the temperature in your home, ensuring that your HVAC system isn’t working harder than it needs to.
- You can schedule your home appliances, such as fridges and dishwashers, to run at off-peak times during the night.
- You can control your AC and heater to ensure that you aren’t wasting money on a system running when it’s not needed.
4. Save Money on Maintenance and Repair
Our homes are full of expensive appliances and gadgets, and it can be a real headache when one of them breaks down. Home automation can help you avoid costly repairs and replacements by monitoring your belongings for signs of damage or wear.
Home automation can help you keep your belongings in good repair by automatically scheduling maintenance and repair tasks.
By scheduling regular tune-ups and check-ups for your home appliances, you can prolong their lifespan and avoid costly repairs down the road.
5. Save Money on Groceries
One of the best ways home automations can help you save money is by planning meals and ordering ahead of time. This can be a great way to avoid wasting food, as well as save on your grocery bill. Meal planning can be done easily with apps or devices that allow you to input recipes and ingredient lists. Then, once you have a plan for what you’re going to make, home automation can take care of the rest by ordering groceries for you ahead of time.
You can even set up your home automation system to order groceries online when they’re on sale or at a lower price than usual. In addition, home automation can help you keep track of expiration dates and ensure that food doesn’t go to waste.
Since the start of the Industrial Revolution, home automation has been on the rise. We’re now living in a time where home automation is a basic necessity. Whether you’re looking to save money on your water bill, energy bill, or even groceries, home automation can help you do so.
What’s more, home automation has become more affordable, making it more accessible to everyone.
We’re excited to see what you think about home automation and the possibilities it can bring. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think.
We’d love to hear from you.